Thursday, October 08, 2009

Linking Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature to BHL

5839_200px.1254992426.png

After some fussing and hair pulling I've constructed a demo of linking a journal to the Biodiversity Heritage Library and displaying the results in Zotero (see my earlier post for rationale).

After some searching I managed to retrieve metadata for several hundred article from the Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature. Using a local copy of the BHL metadata, I wrote a script that looked up each article in BHL and found the URL of the first page in the article. I then created a Zotero group for this journal and uploaded the linked references.

You can browse the group, and if you belong to Zotero you can join the group and get a local copy of the references (which you can edit and correct, the harvesting won't be perfect).

I've also added these references to my
bioGUID OpenURL resolver, making it easy to find a given article. For example, the OpenURL link http://bioguid.info/openurl/?genre=article&issn=0007-5167&volume=51&spage=7 displays a page for the article "Doris grandiflora Rapp, 1827 (currently Dendrodoris grandiflora; Mollusca, Gastropoda): proposed conservation of the specific name", together with a link to the article in BHL.